Tuesday 3 April 2012

First Steps


I'd been looking at the mains connector, a quick trawl in all the usual places didn't throw up any spare connectors, so I decided to look for an alternative. As shown I found a G6 chassis socket and associated G5 moulded mains lead, these are the type used on in line laptop psu and I found them at Rapid. They nicley take up the hole left by the original polarized 2 pin , I did have to make a new backing plate which was fixed to the two existing mounting holes. When the original cover was fitted the mains lead connected perfectly with no need to mod the cover.

So if anyone wants the old chassis socket on the right let me know and I'll post it off.










The next area of work was the tuning mechanism as it had jammed this required a bit of oil and some filing to remove some rust that a oiling the drive mechanics made the tuning indicator move smoothly. I will have to remove it later as the scale is a bit dirty and dusty.

At some time in the past someone had fitted a phono socket for audio out this was connected to an additional isolation transformer that connected across the speaker. I've removed both of these so now the unit is back to original.
I think the next phase will be to check out the  resitors and capacitors to see what needs replacing. If anyone knows a source of 32 + 32mfd 350v smoothing caps please let me know.

More later

No comments: